20. Strowbridge N*, Gilbert MJH*, Zhang Y*, McKenzie JL, Lima L, Farrell AP, Fangue NA, Schulte PM (Under Review) Climate warming will test the limits of thermal plasticity in a globally distributed fish. Submitted to Global Change Biology
*Authors contributed equally to this work
19. Gilbert MJH, Middleton EK, Kanayok K, Harris LN, Moore JS, Farrell AP, Speers-Roesch B (In Press*) Rapid cardiac thermal acclimation in wild anadromous Arctic char. Journal of Experimental Biology
*Featured on the cover
17. Adams OA*, Zhang Y, Gilbert MJH, Lawrence C, Snow M, Farrell AP (2022) An Australian rainbow trout strain with an unusually high thermal tolerance after warm acclimation. Conservation Physiology, coab101
16. Gilbert MJH, Farrell AP (2021). The thermal acclimation potential of maximum heart rate and cardiac heat tolerance in Arctic char (Salvelinus alpinus), a northern cold-water specialist. Journal of Thermal Biology, 102816
15. Harris LN, Swanson HK, Gilbert MJH, Malley BK, Fisk AT and Moore JS (2020). Anadromy and marine habitat use of lake trout (Salvelinus namaycush) from the central Canadian Arctic described using otolith microchemistry and acoustic telemetry. Journal of Fish Biology, 96, 1489-1494
14. Sutcliffe RL, Shaorong L, Gilbert MJH, Schulte PM, Miller-Saunders KM, Farrell AP. (2020) A rapid intrinsic heart rate resetting response with thermal acclimation in rainbow trout, Oncorhynchus mykiss. Journal of Experimental Biology, jeb215210
13. Gilbert MJH, Harris LN, Malley BK, Schimnowski A, Moore JS, Farrell AP. (2020) The thermal limits of cardiorespiratory performance in anadromous Arctic char (Salvelinus alpinus): A field-based investigation using a remote mobile laboratory. Conservation Physiology, coaa036
12. Harris LN, Yurkowski DJ, Gilbert MJH , Else BGT, Duke PJ, Tallman RF, Fisk AT and Moore JS (2020) Depth and temperature preference of anadromous Arctic char Salvelinus alpinus in the Kitikmeot Sea, a shallow and low-salinity area of the Canadian Arctic. Marine Ecology Progress Series, 634, 175-197.
11. Zhang Y, Gilbert MJH, Farrell AP (2020) Measuring maximum oxygen uptake with an incremental swimming test and by chasing rainbow trout to exhaustion inside a respirometry chamber yields the same results. Journal of Fish Biology 97(1), 28-38
9. Gilbert MJH, Rani V*, McKenzie SM*, Farrell AP (2019) Autonomic cardiac regulation facilitates acute heat tolerance in rainbow trout: in situ and in vivo support. Journal of Experimental Biology. doi: 10.1242/jeb.194365
6. Wiwchar, LD, Gilbert MJH, Kasurak, AV, & Tierney, KB (2017). Schooling improves critical swimming performance in zebrafish (Danio rerio). Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences, 75(4), 653-661
5. Gilbert MJH, Barbarich, J. M., Casselman, M., Kasurak, A. V., Higgs, D. M., & Tierney, K. B. (2016). The role of substrate holding in achieving critical swimming speeds: a case study using the invasive round goby (Neogobius melanostomus). Environmental Biology of Fishes, 99(10), 793-799.
4. Gilbert MJH, Donadt CR*, Swanson HK, Tierney KB (2016) Low annual fidelity and early upstream migration of anadromous Arctic Char (Salvelinus alpinus) in a variable environment. Transactions of the American Fisheries Society,145(5), 931-942
3. Berli BI, Gilbert MJH, Ralph AL, Tierney KB, Burkhardt-Holm P (2014) Acute exposure to a common suspended sediment affects the swimming performance and physiology of juvenile salmonids. Comp. Biochem. Phys. 176, 1-10
1. Gilbert MJH, Zerulla TC*, Tierney KB (2014) Zebrafish (Danio rerio) as a model for the study of ageing and exercise: physical ability and trainability decrease with age. Experimental Gerontology 50,106-113.